I think it’s funny that to some people, 5:00 pm. is “happy hour.” Actually, is it five? Is it six? I don’t even know.
Because here, there are a lot of words I might use to describe the hours of 5:00-6:30. “Happy” does not really come to mind. 🙂
Today I was flying solo for the nighttime routine. It’s a good thing I have a good sense of humor, because otherwise I might have been gritting my teeth, yelling at my children, and sweating profusely from stress and frenzy. (Ahem.)
In a span of 30 minutes, the following things had taken place:
- Sam and Ty both climbed into the pack-n-play to have a wrestling match. Actually, that is not why Ty climbed into the pack-n-play. Which explains the screaming, clawing, crying, and whining.
- Sam had a meltdown because Ty was in the pack-n-play.
- Ty pooped.
- Sam pooped.
- Sam wiped his bottom with his hands. (Don’t ask.)
- Sam had a meltdown because “his legs hurt to move.”
- Sam had a meltdown because Ty dumped out some letters.
- Ty ate some Vicks Vapor Rub.
- We went upstairs.
- Ty fell down the stairs. Ty cried.
- Sam “fell” down the stairs. Sam “cried.”
- Ty dumped out 150 plastic animals.
- Sam dumped out 26 magnetic letters.
- Ty and Sam had a wrestling match in their indoor tent. Ty started crying. Sam started crying.
- We went downstairs.
- Ty threw a tantrum because I wiped his face off.
- Sam had a meltdown because “he wasn’t tired.”
- Ty brushed his teeth with my toothbrush.
- Ty took Sam’s “hokie bird.” Sam grabbed it back. They both cried.
- Sam did a “cool move” off the bed which involved landing knees-first, and crying hysterically in pain from the impact. (We won’t try that again.)
- We climbed the stairs for bed. Both boys were crying. Neither knew why. One protested vehemently that he wasn’t tired, and demanded to play a game.
- Sam, Ty, and I rocked on the rocking chair. Sam kept kicking me. Ty wanted to get down.
- We went to bed.
I will finish by saying that the clock may or may not have read “6:27” when the boys were in their beds, which I would have felt bad about, but at least one of them was sleeping eight minutes later. I guess the happy hour wears on all of us! 🙂